Wednesday, November 24, 2010

2 Things

God gives me so many things in life that touch my heart. Right now, those things are my kids at El Refugio. This past week, there were two things in particular that made me melt.

One: seeing my kids literally sprint down the street to bear-hug/kiss/greet me as I round the corner to El Refugio. They are always there at the gate, waiting for me before class starts. Even the littlest one who is usually dirty and sticky with who-knows-what, is irresistibly hug-able with his sweet dimples and bright eyes. You learn how to see past the things that don't really matter - e.g. hygiene. Who cares about dirt when you have a hoard of little kids that want to love you and be loved? You can wash your hands or take a shower later. Your clothes will be clean again when you do the laundry. But this is right now, the single moment you have to do it. They look at you like you are their best friend in the world and can't wait to just be with you. I wonder if this is how Jesus feels when we sprint for him, not really because we need him, but because we just want to be with him and can't wait another moment for it to start so we run to get there faster. He doesn't care about our dirt. He wants to be in our lives, in the messy parts too.

Two: hearing my little ones pray out loud in Spanish. Tying the Bible into my dance lessons can be hard sometimes with the little, little kids so at the end of our dancing (more like playing), we pray. They close their eyes, bow their heads, and pray "Dios, gracias por..." everything. For their family, for this class, for the Seño (that's me - short for Señora), for the food that God has provided, for the food that God will provide. That last one got me last Friday. That they know God will provide is a testimony to the awesome faith they have in their Provider - and they're 6 years old! What a reminder for me, to have simple, unadulterated faith. No wonder Jesus tells us to be like children. They're innocent, trusting, and just want to love. But more importantly, they don't worry about things like where their meal will come from. They trust God for it. They have complete dependence on Him.

Thank you, God, for your children here in Las Violetas and their pure faith. Help me to be like them.

How has God melted your heart this week?

[Matthew 18:1-4]

1 comment:

  1. Have to admit...first time I checked this blog out, but incredibly glad I did. Your words and work down south are nothing short of inspirational. Glad to hear you have good reason to be away from the "new U."

    JB

    ReplyDelete